Followers

Monday, January 17, 2011

Connection of Spiritual Wellness to mental and physical wellness

This has been a real learning process for me. It is amazing how much your spiritual wellness and mental wellness can affect your physical wellness. I have over stressed for many years and it wasn't until I took my Stress Management course last fall, I begin to find my true spirituality. Even though, I rededicated my life to service of my God and Lord Jesus Christ in April of last and was re-baptized in June, it was learning the meditation and relaxation that has brought me closer than ever before. When we are stressed, anxious, and letting our negative emotions run our lives then our entire body and mind suffers. You can high blood pressure, diabetes, bowel and bladder troubles. When we train our mind to channel the blood flow to the areas of the immune system, it will help to reduce much of these problems. I can witness to this, because I was having much trouble with lower leg and back pain, I was taking pain medications and ibuprofen like it was candy. When I started practicing the relaxation techniques to relieve stress, I saw much of this problem go away. I am not saying that do still have pain, I do sometimes, but it usually go insides with a day of tremendous stress or anxiety.
I am going to end this with a quote from our text "An ease and lightness enter our life and cleanse our mind and body. In this manner, biological development progressively extends our ability to prevent mental distress and physical illness, enhances recovery from disease, and promotes integral health, happiness and wholeness. " (Dacher, 2006)

Reference:

Dacher, E (2006) Integral Health, The Path to Human Flourishing, Basic Health Publication, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! The quote at the end is a nice way to end your thoughts. I have hip pain often and I am starting to consider te idea of meditation before I run to redce the inflammation that occurs. I too have found Christ again this past year and look foward to getting to the point of being baptized but I am still learning so much about myself. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete